Loading...

środa, 7 grudnia 2011

Robert Walpole - prime minister and a 'romantic'

Politician can also be romantics if they want:



Piotr Napierała, Sir Robert Walpole (1676-1745) – twórca brytyjskiej potęgi, Wydawnictwo Naukowe UAM, Poznań 2008. ISBN 978-83-232189-8-2 (Chapter II)

... these years (first decade of the eighteenth century), were wery succesful for Walpole. He had a large, legitimate and less legitimate, revenue from Houghton Hall and the wine trade. His wife had bestowed him with the already quite numerous offspring. His love for the hysterical and capricious, but beautiful lady Walpole flourished, what can be confirmed by the contents of one of the few letters of the future prime minister from this period:

„…May I measure Your heart by my own. O there I find that love that tendernesse for You that are any failings in You they are still perfections to me and doth my Dearest doe or omit any thing that might seem better otherwise, I am blind , cannot, would not, see any thing in my deare but what is most agreeable …”.




It is difficult to say whether he actually saw in his wife "only the most pleasant things", or perhaps he considered that is was better for him to look on her in this way. We can assume that a man gifted with such a cheerful disposition as Walpole was, who always forgived others their mistakes and impertinence, and who used to say: "When I go to sleep, I strip off all my worries, with my dress", would have been able to find happiness even in a company of a much more troublesome wife. It's not surprising than, that he never ceased to buy her expensive gifts, what used to bring his steward John Wrott, who was in charge of Houghton Hall during his master's absence, to despair. Wrott was so worried about debts of his master, that he could not sleep at night ...

Brak komentarzy: